Monday, January 08, 2007

Volver

Volver is another excellent film choice. Honestly, I didn't want to watch this film because I absolutely had no clue what it was about. I was contemplating on what film to see the night of and didn't know exactly what to do. What I really wanted to watch was The Curse of the Golden Flower with Chow Yun Fat. I read some reviews on it and people gave it okay reviews, but then I stumbled upon Volver and it got good ratings. I then find out that Penelope Cruz is in the film. I'm not a big fan of hers. The only movie I really ever enjoyed with her in it is Woman on Top. It's not an Oscar winning film but it's a very fun type movie, with a great soundtrack. Check it out people. So, my movie crew (sister and brother) headed out to check it out! I ended up really liking the film. It's pretty cool. It is a comedy and tragedy combo that works. The story is pretty deep, so I'll do my best to explain the main plot.

Volver, or Coming Back, is a story about death. Well not totally about death but damn does it occur often in the film. The main characters are the two sisters, Raimunda (Penélope Cruz) and Sole (Lola Dueñas) and Raimunda's daughter Paula (Yohana Cobo). Raimunda lives in Madrid where she works as a custodian. Her husband is always drunk at home and is a dead beat. Her sister Sole is a hairstylist who lives alone after her husband left her. The film opens up with the two sisters and Raimunda's daughter tending to their mothers gravestone. After the cleaning, they go to La Mancha, their hometown, to visit their Aunt Paula who is still speaking to their dead mother, Irene, as if she never died. Then Aunt Paula dies and more mystery and suspense endure. But this film isn't a ghost or horror movie. It's a comedy and drama. So yeah that’s the back drop. There’s all this mystery and shit that goes down in the film. I don't want to spoil it so, I'll leave it there. Yeah, sorry my reviews are kind of weak.

Overall, it is an awesome movie for real. It's funny and sad. Oh and there’s this scene where Penélope Cruz lip sings this flamenco song. So cool. I'm a fan of flamenco music. Film didn't seem too long even though it was 2 hours. Go check your local listings, most places won't show this indie film even though I think it kicks most of whatever’s out there's ass!

Favorite quote "With your tits and my drinks, we can make a fortune" (well, it goes something like that. I don't know it exactly, but you'll see it).




edited January 10, 2007


This is the song by Raimunda (Penélope Cruz) in Volver. The actual artist who sings the song is Estrella Morente. Oscar winning performance by Cruz and great singing by Morente. Enjoy

No comments: